Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Cinnamon Rolls to go with our coffee

What? I hadn't posted this recipe? I've given it out far too many times to not have the link handy. Also, if I have it up online, then I don't need to remember to pack the recipe for myself when I'm supposed to make these somewhere else. Like at my parents' house for Thanksgiving breakfast tomorrow morning . . .

So a little bit of a backstory. My husband has a weakness for baked goods. He has a weakness for cinnamon. Put the two together and you have a man who believes that good cinnamon rolls are basically the perfect food, and that even bad cinnamon rolls are pretty good. To properly take care of my husband, and to save myself from a steady stream of those grocery store cinnamon rolls that never taste nearly so good as they look, I decided I need to learn to make the best cinnamon rolls humanly possible. Fortunately, we were in the right city.

The snack shops at the University of British Columbia make their own cinnamon rolls daily, and have left a city full of alumni addicted to them. The Vancouver Sun kindly prints the recipe on a regular basis.

UBC Cinnamon Rolls, adapted:

Dough
1 cup milk plus 3 TBSP water
2 TBSP butter
1 egg
3/4 tsp salt
3 1/4 cups flour
2 TBSP sugar
2 tsp yeast

Filling
1/4 to 1/3 cup sugar combined with
1 TBSP cinnamon
1/2 cup butter, divided

Mix dough ingredients in bread machine on dough cycle or in a stand mixer. (If you use a stand mixer, let dough rise until doubled after mixing). Take out and knead in barely enough flour to make it possible to handle. This is a very sticky dough. Melt 1/4 cup of the butter and pour it into the bottom of a 9 x 13 glass baking pan. Roll the dough out into a 12 x 12 square. Melt the other 1/4 cup butter and smooth it over dough. Top with cinnamon sugar. Roll up jelly roll style and slice into 12 one inch slices. Arrange in baking pan. Cover and let the cinnamon rolls rise again, either in a warm place until doubled in size (if you want to bake immediately) or in the fridge overnight. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes. Frost as desired.

No comments: