Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Sticky Toffee Pudding

I can't believe I haven't saved this recipe to my blog. When I was in Scotland in 1996, I absolutely fell in love with STP. I cornered the mother of one of my Scottish acquaintances as someone who had a proper Scottish cookbook, brought the recipe home, and it's been one of my signature desserts ever since. A word to Americans: "pudding" in British parlance is simply "dessert" to Americans, so this cake and sauce combo bears no resemblance to Jell-O anything. This is the only version of the recipe that I've seen that calls for the coffee flavoring in the cake, and I think it really makes it. :)


The Cake (12-16 servings):
6 Tbsp. real butter
2 eggs
5/8 cup of flour
1/2 tsp. vanilla
2 tsp. coffee extract and 1/4 cup water or 1/4 cup espresso
1 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 cups flour
optional: add stoned dates, soaking in liquid ahead of time to soften
Bake the cake 350-375 for 25-35 minutes in a 8" round pan

Sauce:
1/2 cup butter
6 Tbsp. heavy cream
3/4 cup brown sugar
Boil butter and brown sugar. Reduce to low. Add cream one tablespoon at a time and stir until smooth.

Serve cake with sauce and whipped cream. Lick plate.

No comments: