Friday, February 1, 2008

Page 123 Meme

Nod to Rob.

The rules of the meme:

Pick up the nearest book of 123 pages or more. (No cheating!)
Find Page 123.
Find the first 5 sentences.
Post the next 3 sentences.
Tag 5 people.

Well, I have an entire shelf of books to choose from. To be fair, I'm simply pulling the first in line: Ancient Rome: Documentary Perspectives, edited and translated by Nystrom and Spyridakis. The document is Julius Caesar's Civil Wars, 3.88-99

One of [the centurions], Crastinus, who we mentioned earlier, fought gallantly and died from a sword-thrust in the face. This man's statement before the beginning of the battle was fully justified, for Caesar thought his bravery in battle was extraordinary and concluded that he was deeply indebted to him. It appears that about fifteen thousand of the enemy were killed and that more than twenty-four thousand surrendered, including the cohorts left to guard the Pompeian camp who gave themselves up to Sulla.

Tags: well, I've already posted on why I don't. And I think that anyone who's ever commented on this blog has already been caught on this one. I look forward to reading the responses.

No comments: